The business Steckel’s Toyota began in 1929 when two partners Gerhard Steckel and Arnold Köstens started a Motor garage under the name "Köstens & Steckel" in Swakopmund. In 1939 Arnold passed away during World war 2 and in 1947 Gerhard Steckel bought Arnold’s shares from his family to become the sole owner and he changed the name to "G Steckel Garage". In 1957 Gerhard’s son in law, Dieter Gudehus became the Co-manager. In 1963 Dieter Gudehus obtained the Toyota franchise and they sold their 1st Toyopet Stout, which was delivered on the 23rd of September 1963. G Steckel Garage became the 1st Toyota Dealer in the then SWA (Namibia).
In 1976 Gerhard Steckel passed away and the business was inherited by his daughter Ellen Gudehus. Ellen and Dieter Gudehus changed the name to "Steckel’s Motors". They retired in 1998 and sold the business to Willie Schoeman and the Finkeldeh family. The name was then changed to "West Coast Motors t/a Steckel’s Toyota”. In 2012 Willie Schoeman bought the shares of the Finkeldeh family and his wife Hannelie became co-owner in the company.
In 2013 Willie and Hannelie Schoeman obtained land from the local Municipality and in 2015 Steckel’s Toyota moved into their state of the art facility on the corner of Sam Nujoma & Nelson Mandela avenue in Swakopmund where the business is today after 87 years. Steckel’s Toyota prides itself to be customer orientated and to always deliver the best service possible to their clients.Contact Us